Research Assistant Position
Position: Research Assistant to the Chief of the Boston Shoulder Institute at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH).
Location: Boston, MA
Position Type: Full-time, one-year or two-year appointment
Boston Shoulder Institute
The mission of the Boston Shoulder Institute is to provide regional, national, and international leadership in the advancement of care for problems affecting the shoulder. This mission is based on advancement of knowledge through research, improvement of care through education of physicians, and clinical management of all problems affecting the shoulder.
The Boston Shoulder Institute at Partners was formally organized in the spring of 1998. It is based at the MGH. The goal of the Boston Shoulder Institute is to be the preeminent shoulder center in the world.
This full-time position is best suited for recent college graduates interested in pursuing a career in medicine. The applicant should have a strong academic record, must be creative, self-driven, reliable, and motivated to learn. A strong background in statistics is useful. The position offers the opportunity for education and hands-on learning in the medical field.
Research assistants will work closely with Dr. Jon J.P. Warner and Boston Shoulder Institute Fellows. A typical week may consist of 1-2 days in the OR, 1-2 days in clinic, and 1-2 days in the office. Surgical cases include total shoulder arthroplasty, inverse arthroplasty, rotator cuff repair, labral repair, and tendon transfers.
In addition, the Research Assistant will help physicians both in the clinic and in the operating room. Research assistants experience the clinical, operative, and academic aspects of medicine. Past research assistants have all been integral parts of projects that ended with them being published authors in peer-reviewed orthopedics journals.
Questions about the job can be directed, via email, toward any of the current Boston Shoulder Institute Research Assistants: Alexander Prete BS (email@example.com) or Aisha Obeidallah BA (firstname.lastname@example.org).
– Supporting physicians with ongoing studies, projects, videos, papers and presentations
– Managing a large surgical database, including entering patient and surgical data and coordinating patient follow-up
– Querying large insurance database for research studies (coding experience useful)
– Recruiting patients and collecting data for research studies
– Videotaping pre-operative and post-operative examinations for Case Reports
– Gathering of patient images, X-rays, as well as operative and clinical notes
– Gathering references and images, editing and formatting research papers
– Managing and updating the Shoulder database, Fellow’s computer, and the Boston Shoulder Institute website (www.bosshin.com)
– Drafting Institutional Review Board (IRB) protocols for research studies
– Involvement in many parts of the clinical research process
– Working closely with the Quality and Safety Department
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
Please submit a resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and sealed letter of recommendation to both of the email addresses below:
Alexander Prete BS (email@example.com)
Aisha Obeidallah BA (firstname.lastname@example.org)